The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me. --Ayn Rand

13.8.07

Job, Please?

I rock interviews. On Friday I interviewed for a translating and interpreting job for an investment and finance company through an HR/Consulting company. I wasn't really sure what to expect. I imagined that they would ask me to translate something. I was afraid it would be me in a room with two professional translators, and they would ask me to translate a business negotiation. Then they would be able to point and laugh at me if I didn't know how to say a word.

Luckily, all they did was ask me to translate a paragraph from English to Chinese about the firm I'm applying to, then it was a normal interview... except it was all in Mandarin! Oddly enough, during first impressions, people don't focus on my inner snob, and instead see a happy-go-lucky nerd. That is why I rocked this interview. I could tell the interview was going well when first I laughed, then I made the interviewers laugh. Once the interview was over, they told me I would know by Monday if they were going to recommend me for the position.

Monday morning I awake to hear my phone ringing. I answered the phone, and when I realized that it was the same interviewer (初如意) telling me they were going to recommend me, I jumped around for a good 10 minutes. This job is extremely lucrative because, although it's a Chinese company, they were looking for a native English speaker, and--this is the best part--they pay US wages. Also, the job description requires traveling to their other branch offices. Namely, Hong Kong, London and New York. After sending ecstatic text messages to the USA, I calmed down and thought about it.

Why I'm surprised I was recommended:
--I'm the youngest candidate.
--I have no formal interpreting experience.
--Actuarial science is the closest I have to experience in investment and banking.

Why I'm not surprised:
--My Mandarin is better than 90% of all foreigners who can speak Chinese. I've only met about 3 people whose Chinese was significantly better than mine.
--Since I have a math degree, they think I'm extremely intelligent. Although the job description does not require me to help them with the investment aspect, they know I'll love the job.
--I kept repeating to them that this was my ideal job.

They told me I would meet with the boss within the week, and it is up to him if I get the job or not. If I get it, I'll be living the life of a king in Beijing. If not, I'm going to be living how I previously planned--the life of a poor college gay boy trying to save money to pay off loans.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home